Hello love! Thanks for reading my blog! As you know on my last post on spotlight, I write about Malaysian most popular designer Dato” Bernard Chandran. Well, I hope you girls like it. For today, I would like to write about our famous shoemakers in the world *drumroll please* Dato’ Jimmy Choo!
Jimmy Choo has become a worldwide known brand. One associated with class, style and high fashion. Not surprising then, Jimmy Choo has been chosen as Malaysian Top 10 Designer *clapclap*. Born into a family of shoemakers, Jimmy Choo made his first shoe when he was only 11 years old. His fashion industry beginnings can be traced back to his workshop in Hackney, North London which he opened in 1986 by renting an old hospital building. He came to the verge of international notability when his creations were featured in a record eight pages in a 1988 issue of Vogue. Patronage from Diana, Princess of Wales, from 1990 further boosted his image and by 1996, he co-founded Jimmy Choo Ltd with British Vogue magazine accessories editor Tamara Mellon. After selling his 50% stake in the company in 2001, he has since concentrated his work on the exclusive Jimmy Choo Couture line produced under license from Jimmy Choo Ltd.
Dato’ Jimmy Choo lives in London and is currently involved in a project to set up a shoemaking institute in Malaysia, where his iconic status is often evoked to inspire budding shoemakers and fashion designers. Jimmy Choo Ltd. produces some of the most expensive high-end shoes. Event though he is a extremely popular, he never forget about Malaysia. Aww you made me proud!
- 2000: Bestowed a state award carrying the title of Dato’ by the Sultan of Pahang state in Malaysia for his achievements
- 2002: Conferred an OBE (Order of the British Empire) in recognition of his services to the shoe and fashion industry in the UK.
- 2004: Awarded the Darjah Setia Pangkuan Negeri by the Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of his home state of Penang, which also carries the title Dato’.
- 2009: Awarded an Honorary Fellowship by University of the Arts London.
- 2011: Winner of “The World’s Outstanding Chinese Designer 2011” Design for Asia Award
- 2012: Received You Bring Charm to the World – World’s Most Influential Chinese Award
- Awarded an honorary doctorate in art in July 2004 by De Montfort University, Leicester, U.K., for his contribution to their unique Single Honours Footwear Design degree
For your information, besides shoes Jimmy Choo also have expanded include accessories such as handbags, wallets, sunglasses and also perfume! For more designs and also accessories you girls can log on into www.jimmychoo.com
pix source: jimmychoo.com